Remember the bit about differentiation? Well, that just meant that I’m a confused little puppy, who constantly questions and thus undermines the activities that grant some (small) pleasures. Yeah, I got the angst.
For the record, then: I like science fiction. I like the orientation it gives my thought. I can shape my perception and my judgments around these precepts:
- That there is a future is a given.
- The present is the soil out of which the future will grow.
- This soil is long-conditioned by the past.
- And yet, the future is governed largely by accident.
- We are given, in the present, vectors or tendencies of mass phenomena.
- As individuals, we participate in and compose mass phenomena.
- As individuals qua individuals we can influence mass phenomena.
- An image of this is: an element of the soup stepping out to season the pot.
- Not: a sheepdog.
- More likely: a man with a flag in a procession of men, many with flags.
- Also: a rock placed in advance of a stream finding its course.
- In all images: there is no hope of directly opposing all tendencies.
- But everything depends on the determination of this place over that, even though both are over there.
- In any case, doxies that teach relinquishment before historical forces are historical forces.
- The definite nature of the future is not given.